Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Summer Reads and Linky Party!

Hi all, I'm doing (another....) Linky Party--this time courtesy of  Jodi at Clutter Free Classroom.



Her question: What are you going to read this summer?

Well. If there's anything I can talk about for hours on end....well, it's coffee. BUT SECOND IS BOOKS! :) I am a readaholic in every sense of the word. Books to me, are better than almost anything else :)

My summer reading list is about a mile long--chock full of both fluffy reading and fun professional reads. That being the case, I shall share both lists.

Fun Professional Reads:

1. The Book Whisperer by Donalyn Miller
 This has been sitting next to my desk now for MONTHS. It's all about "awakening the inner reader in every child" and all I have to say is if this book can teach me how to do that, I am all ABOUT it. :)

2. The Daily 5
This is one I like to read again...and again...and again....I always seem to be able to pull something new from it with each additional read--plus, it's something I can usually put right into my classroom.

3. Educating Esme
An oldie, but a goodie. I was introduced to this book during college in one of my education classes and it has been an absolute favorite ever since. If you have not read it--I highly HIGHLY recommend it. For serious.


Fluffy Reads (Where to even begin....):

1. Sacre Bleu by Christopher Moore
Christopher Moore cracks. me. up. I loved his book Lamb so much that I adapted it for the stage in college! Long story short, I'm pretty pumped to read his new book.

2. Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry
I loved The Giver so much, and with the last book in the series coming out this year I really need to catch up!

4. The Likeness and Faithful Place by Tana French
She wrote this crazy good mystery book In the Woods that I just loved. I hope her other two books will be just as fantastic.

What about you guys?? Any other book crazy teachers out there who just can't wait to dive into their summer reading lists? :)


10 comments:

  1. I love to read! I loved the book Education Esme. I read it right before I started teaching and haven't picked it up again. Thanks for the reminder of it. I found your blog through the linky. I would love it if you would come check me out.
    Ms. Kerri and her Krazy Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! Thanks for following--I hopped over to your site; it's adorable and I'll be sure to do the same! :)

      ~Steph

      Delete
  2. I think Educating Esme is going to go on my list as well. I haven't read it before, but it was one of our extra credit choices in my intro ed course. Also, I'll take your recommendation on Sacre Bleu. And perhaps I need to read The Book Whisperer? Thanks for the good ideas for my reading list!

    ashley
    iced lattes and interventions

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a problem! Glad you like them!! :)

      ~Steph

      Delete
  3. Love the blog name. I will have to check out Education Esme. Makes me think of Twilight. Stop by and say hello.

    April @ The Idea Backpack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You'll have to tell me what you think about Educating Esme if you get a chance to read it--Also, love your blog-so many good ideas!

      ~Steph

      Delete
  4. I didn't even realize The Giver was a series! I am adding Gathering Blue to my summer reading list! I have loved The Giver since I was in 5th grade and am so grateful for you opening up my eyes to more books!! :) Thanks!

    Kristen
    http://adayinbcasfirstgrade.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realize The Giver was a series until about 6 months ago--so we (until recently) were in the same boat! haha. I guess they don't follow the same characters--though I hear rumor that the last book coming out later this year brings them all together. Also, love your blog! :)

      ~Steph

      Delete
  5. I'm going to finally read the Book Whisperer as well. Have to check out Educating Esme. Thanks for sharing your suggestions.

    NotJustChild'sPlay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just started the Book Whisperer--so far, so good! You'll have to let me know what you think! :)

      Delete