Monday, June 4, 2012

Communication Binders and a fun Summer Linky

So as the school year is wrapping up (yes. We still have a few days left...) I've been thinking ahead to next year and all the new things I'd like to try. One thing I really SUPER really have wanted to try is home/school communication binders. I've read so many cool things about them and they seem like a great way for the little kiddos to stay organized... do any of you have them in your classroom?? Do you love them? Hate them? What's your take on the whole idea? I'd love to hear your thoughts :)

Ok! So I'm joining up in Kindergarten Lifestyle's fun summer linky party You Know It's Summer When....


My teaching buddy, Christine, and I were actually laughing about this this past weekend. We went to college to visit with some friends and after seeing our Alma Mater's choir concert, some people were headed out for a night on the town...when they asked us if we wanted to join we (no joke) looked at our watches, saw that it was almost 10:30, gave a collective sigh, and said (in unison--I kid you not!), "Weeelll, it's actually getting kind of late..." Shouldn't 23 year olds WANT to go out on a Friday night?? Haha not when they were up at 6 preparing for a full day of teaching :) 


True story from THIS. MORNING. At 6:00 am, I jumped out of bed convinced (CONVINCED I tell you!) that I had an early meeting this morning. I rushed to my computer, quickly logged into my school's email and saw....no meeting. *Slaps hand to forehead* Must be all the end of the year business! 

Anywho, this little chickie is lovin' all the fun end of the school year stuff--but is also REALLY looking forward to some summer fun :) 17 Days 'til Disney!! Wahoo!!

14 comments:

  1. I did home to school binders for a year and found the parents in my room were cleaning out their child's work folders every night! That was the main thing I didn't like about it.
    So I went to a plastic folder with sleeve for their weekly homework and important papers, and loved it!
    Lisa
    Stories From Second

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa,

      That's good to know! I'll definitely keep that in mind as I decide what I'm doing for next year :)

      ~Steph

      Delete
  2. That is so true during the school year I really don't like to stay up late. But during the summer I love it! Following you now. :)
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following, Lori! I'll be sure to do the same :)

      ~Steph

      Delete
  3. Hi, my name is Jill and aim your newest follower. I laughed about the ten o'clock bedtime. If you have a chance come on over to bubbalulu.blogspot.com. Tales from Second

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jill! Thanks for following--I'll be sure to do the same! :)

      Delete
  4. I have done SAFARI and FROG binders and love them. One of my favorite parts of the binder is the section for fluency poems. =)

    I wake up in the morning at times and panic that I have overslept and missed a meeting too! NOT a good feeling!

    I am happy to be your newest follower. I would love for you to come and visit me when you get the chance.


    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heather,

      Thank you so much for following! I'd never even THOUGHT of putting a section for fluency poems into the binder--FANTASTIC idea!!

      Also, I visited your blog (I'm now a follower!) and loved all you had to say about CD--it's something I really want to dive deeper into, and it's so nice to see it used in such a practical way within the classroom. Have a great evening!

      ~Steph

      Delete
    2. The fluency poems and rapid word reading list are great! I would love for you to drop in and read more about CD. It really has been the most amazing thing I have ever seen....and it ends tattling! =)

      Do you know why your picture isn't showing up on my followers? Blogger can be a bit wonkers if you don't follow from the sidebar and even that doesn't work. I'd love for you to follow me again! =)


      Heather
      Heather's Heart

      Delete
    3. I followed again--hopefully it works this time! Also, if there is a system in this world that will stop me from having to say the phrase, "Tattling or Telling?" 16 thousand times a day, then I am ALL ABOUT IT. :)

      Delete
  5. I use home/school binders in my classroom and love it! I have trouble getting parents on the telephone, but most of them will sign the daily report and write back and forth with me periodically. This is extremely helpful for documenting that parents are aware of their child's successes (and struggles.) This year, I only had daily reports (based on IEP goals), homework/return-to-school, and keep-at-home sections. I am going to plan out over the summer some ways that I can improve the notebooks (ex. sight word lists, a resource section with our class procedures and homework helpers, a pouch for money and notes.)

    I'm a night owl, so I struggle with the desire to stay awake versus the need to be well-rested on a frequent basis. (Unfortunately, because of my summer job, this never stops for me. :)

    ashley
    latteintervention.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ashley,

      Thanks for all the info! I especially love the idea about sight word lists. I'll definitely have to put that in there :) Have a great Monday!

      ~Steph

      Delete
  6. I'm in bed by 8:30 or 9:00 during the school year. I probably beat my kids to bed! (following now) :)
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ME TOO!! Haha I don't have kids yet but my Mom has called my on occasion and I've already been asleep--and we're talkin' like 9:00 here. Thanks for following! I'll be sure to stop by Forever in First and do the same :)

      ~Steph

      Delete