Thursday, July 12, 2012

Advice for a First Year Teacher Linky

Better late than never! Thanks so much to Deb over at Fabulously First for hosting such a sweet linky party. I'm still fairly new, but would've LOVED to have seen this when I was starting out last year. :) The advice every one has posted is not only useful for a first year teacher--but for anyone who still wants to learn how to be better in this fabulous profession.


1. I can't tell you how many times the "plan" was scrapped this past year. As a first year teacher, you really have to be ready to improvise because so much of what we're doing in the classroom that first year comes from improvisation. Just don't be afraid to scrap the plan! If your first idea didn't work--so what?! Try something new on the spot--you might end up pleasantly surprised :)

2. The text books offer some awesome lesson plans. That being said, be sure to look for other ideas in other sources as well. You will become VERY WELL acquainted with Pinterest and Teachers Pay Teachers--some of my very most favorite lessons/units last year were from the fabulous folks over at TPT. Be sure to utilize these fantastic resources.

3. Have fun with your little kiddos. You only get one year with this group of munchkins. Have fun with them because they really ARE so much fun :)

8 comments:

  1. Number 1 is sooooo true! And sometimes it isn't even our fault that it has to be scrapped. So many things come up during the day (especially those first few weeks of school) that you just have to throw something out. Great advice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, sometimes I feel like I was so stressed out that I forgot to have fun with my kids. Great advice! :)
    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great advice :) I love your blog header- super cute! Glad I found your blog! I'm a new follower!

    Kimberly
    http://the-learningtree.blogspot.com/2012/07/brown-paper-packages.html#comments

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following, Kimberly! I'll be sure to do the same :)

      Delete
  4. I'm your newest follower. I found you through the link up.
    ஐRikki
    The Hive

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great advice! I rarely have a week where I do exactly what I planned. Have to be very flexible! :)

    NotJustChild'sPlay

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great advice--especially the laughter part. I am often too serious. I found you on a link up, and I am your latest follower. I would love to have you stop by and check out my blog, join my latest giveaway.

    www.ateacherwithoutaclass.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the one about having fun. That is so true and I think we forget that at times with all of the pressure from testing, curriculum and standards. There are still little and we need to let them be kids. =)


    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete